Wednesday, March 28, 2012

SATURDAY!!! - Janelle

Wow, the day we have been training for 9 months is finally apon us! I think I can speak for both of us when I say we NEVER thought we could run the whole 21km. In July, we were running only 2 minutes at a time. Now, we are running for 10 with just a minute walk in between!! I'm so proud of Afton; she quit smoking and started running! What a positive life change. I am so happy to be running with one of my long time friends.
I don't think we've ever divulged how we met, so why not now, with the race only days away. It was April 2006 when I first laid eyes on that pale white face, and those piercing eyes. Afton hadn't had much sleep. She was pretty much running an entire motel! We worked together; the 8 hours I worked were the only time she had to rest, but we always managed to laugh a lot and got very close. Once I moved away, we kept in touch. Living in the same city again has been great. What's even better? Living a 5 minute walk from eachother! Afton is one of those everlasting friends, who I am forever grateful that I reconnected with her.
This journey has been tough on both of us. Fundraising, especially in this economic climate, is very challenging. Somehow, we have both kept a smile on our faces (however mine was, at times, crazed and combined with a furrowed brow). I am sitting in France, waiting patiently until the moment I get to see my long lost running partner for the first time in tzo months!!! So to my Affie, thank you for coming on this journey with me. I know mine isn't over yet (2 thousand dollars left to raise!), but I know you will always be there for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment