Thursday, January 12, 2012

Banana Burp in Etown - Janelle

Edmonton River Valley
Unfortunately, I am missing another group run tonight! But never fear, I am practising for my solo time in Russia by running without my support system. Well, that's a bit of a stretch, because this afternoon I hit the river valley in Edmonton with my friend Hilary. She kept me motivated. After the 5km mark, I started to feel ill, and I started regretting the trail mix and the banana smoothie I scarfed down right before our run. It got to the point where my lunch came back up to say hello to the sidewalk; but despite the cold, the regurgitation and the extremely ICEY sidewalks in our fair capital city, we kept on trekking. I was actually amazed at how packed down the snow is on the paths. In Calgary, the paths are fairly clear, whereas in Edmonton the odds of finding pavement without an inch of ice were pretty low. The scenery was great, we ran past the Edmonton Queen Riverboat, past most of the bridges to downtown, and along the scenic Saskatchewan Drive on top of the river bank. Edmonton is where I grew up, so I definitely have a soft spot for it. However, I can say now that Calgary is my home, thanks to the great people, including the running group, that kept me coming back for more!

Edmonton Queen Riverboat
Extremely Icy Paths in Etown

And a shout out to my Girl Afton! She is SOOO close to her goal! Congratulations on all your hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment